The future treatment of Parkinson’s relies on the accurate assessment of how it affects each individual. At the moment symptoms are only tracked as part of a clinical appointment which doesn’t provide a clear picture of how the symptoms affect that person over a 24-hour period.
The Cure Parkinson’s Trust has been an active partner in SENSE-PARK, a three year EU-funded project to test and investigate ‘wearable’ devices which can assess and measure Parkinson’s symptoms in the most effective way. This was a significant venture for The Cure Parkinson’s Trust and was supported with the invaluable input of volunteers who helped us with surveys, focus groups and testing.
This project has now come to a close but The Cure Parkinson’s Trust’s knowledge and expertise in this area continues to grow as people living with Parkinson’s help us develop a rating scale for apps and devices currently available. In addition, we continue to evaluate the best way to measure and assess using technology.
- Quantitative home-based assessment of Parkinson’s symptoms: The SENSE-PARK feasibility and usability study
- Participatory Design in Parkinson’s Research with Focus on the Symptomatic Domains to be Measured
- Gait velocity and step length at baseline predict outcome of Nordic walking training in patients with Parkinson’s disease
- Digitomotography in Parkinson’s Disease: A Cross-Sectional and Longitudinal Study
- Clinical Parameters and Tools for Home-Based Assessment of Parkinson’s Disease: Results from a Delphi study
- World Parkinson Congress 2016 World Parkinson Congress (WPC), the only Parkinson’s conference to draw together people with Parkinson’s, researchers and clinical experts took place in Portland, Oregon, USA from 20th to 23rd September 2016. We have just got back from a very busy and interesting trip! Tom Isaac honoured with Distinguished…
- Take a look at a few of the surveys we recommend to express your individual views and opinions on these topics in Parkinson’s Disease. Describing your Parkinson's Describing Parkinson's Symptoms Excessive Daytime Sleepiness The Parkinson Alliance Survey: Swallowing and Parkinson's Rallying 2016: Data, Data,…
- GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (February 22, 2016)—A medication approved to treat various respiratory diseases and that has demonstrated neuroprotective effects in preclinical studies is the focus of a new clinical trial for Parkinson’s disease. The trial is the latest to be launched as part of the Linked Clinical Trials (LCT) initiative,…
- The research folks are gradually narrowing in on the cause of Parkinson’s — it relates to a bad-boy protein, alpha-synuclein, not properly folding and running amok with your dopamine. (“Proteins folding” always sounded like laundry to me.) But what causes the protein to mal-fold? Bad genes? Something in the environment? On…